Myotherapy in Craigieburn
Are you suffering from stress, tension, and pain? Then you’ve come to the right place. Myotherapy is a type of manual therapy that can heal a variety of aches and tightness.
In this article, we’ll give a brief overview of Myotherapy at Craigieburn so you can see if this treatment is right for you. We’ll also help you prepare for your first appointment.
What is Myotherapy?
Myotherapy is a type of Western medicine used to soothe a variety of discomfort in the body. Standard techniques that myotherapists use are massage, stretching, dry needling, cupping, and prescribing exercise.
Also, it can be used to treat or prevent restricted joint movement caused by myofascial dysfunction, hence the name. Myofascia is the thin sheets of tissue that surround muscles and separate them.
Symptoms of Myofascial Pain
You could be experiencing pain caused by myofascial dysfunction without knowing it. Some symptoms of soft tissue pain are:
- Constant muscle aches
- Tight or stiff joints
- ‘Pins and needles’ sensation repeatedly
- Sore spots in the muscle
Which Disorders Can Myotherapy Craigieburn Treat?
Myotherapy can be used to reduce or eliminate the pain caused by:
- Sports injuries
- Muscle sprains
- Discomfort caused by poor posture
- Tension headaches
- Chronic back pain
How to Prepare for Your First Appointment
Before your first appointment, have all medical records and history prepared. Please bring x-rays and medical test results that relate to your condition. The myotherapist will ask about your pain, so be prepared to talk about your medical history, including any past treatments and surgery.
The myotherapist will test your reflexes and examine the affected muscles and joints. From this first examination, the therapist will be able to determine if your condition is myofascial. At Osteocare Craigieburn, we also refer patients to other health professionals if necessary.
Techniques in Myotherapy
At Myotherapy Craigieburn, our specialist myotherapists are certified by the Institute of Registered Myotherapists of Australia (IRMA). We use many different techniques to restore the soft tissues to their natural state:
- Soft tissue manipulation (massage)
- Passive stretching by gently moving the patient’s body in a range of motions
- Trigger point therapy (acupressure)
- Cupping with the application of heated cups to create suction
- Dry needling where needles are placed into the surface of the skin (no bleeding)
A multifaceted technique will be incorporated into your treatment plan to restore the tendons, ligaments, muscles, and fascia.
Myotherapy Treatment Process
- Your treatment process will begin with a one-hour consultation. Our therapists will thoroughly assess your muscular aches and pains to determine if they’re caused by myofascial dysfunction.
- We will create a treatment plan at the consultation. This will include coming in for regular sessions, as well as at home practices.
- We’ll begin your treatment. You’ll start coming in for regular treatments, using the techniques that work best for your body.
How to Schedule a Consultation
After reading this, we hope you know more about myotherapy and if it’s right for you.
Call us now on 1800 067 836 to book an appointment at our Craigieburn clinic.